Will you be my friend too?

by jlundstocholm 15. September 2010 12:38

The other day I noticed that the traffic on my blog had increased dramatically. I couldn’t really understand why (I have not written anything substantial in quite some time) – all I could see was that the majority of the visitors originated from Google. The search results were mainly “Jesper Lund Stocholm”, “Alex Brown” and “OOXML” … which told me just about nothing at all.

But then I noticed that a few of them also included the term “boycottnovell” and “techrights”. This lead me to check out the feed from #boycottboy’s website – and behold – I was actually mentioned in one of his defamatory articles.

The article is this: http://techrights.org/2010/09/11/sc34-is-still-a-farce/ .

The quotes start like this:

Weir is then met by opposition from Brown’s longtime right-winger, the ODF-hostile Jesper Lund Stocholm [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10]. He is a known Microsoft booster and Weir’s responses to him go like this:

I wonder if I shall refer to myself from now on as “Goose” or similar. Alex is clearly the Maverick here.

Now – and this is where I envy Rob – #boycottboyquotes a conversation I had with Rob (which I clearly won, btw :-) ) – but conveniently leaves out everything I wrote. It seems to me that Rob and #boycottboy live in some sort of symbiosis – each benefitting from on another. #Boycottboy clearly regards every little thing Rob writes to him as a “badge of honor” – regardless of the content itself. And Rob very much benefits from #boycottboys critique-less c/p of his comments/articles … with the infamous “#boycottboy reality distortion field” applied.

I wish I had a friend like that. I wish I had a friend that would blindly recite every syllable coming from my lips – without any sanity-check at all.

I totally get why #boycottboy needs Rob – but why IBM’s chief ODF Architect (elsewhere known as “ODF’s one-man-army”) needs someone like #boycottboy is beyond me.

And you know what the silver lining is here? I actually benefit greatly (and not only in a monetary sense) from being posted on #boycottboy’s site. The increased traffic from techrights.org keeps the fire burning and it is almost always a certainty that someone will write to me to invite me to speak on document formats at conference, potential customers or even political parties.

So please keep it up, you two – it helps me avoid the wife and kid going to bed hungry at night.

Comments

9/17/2010 2:56:43 AM #

Alex Brown

Do you really think Rob benefits from Roy's attentions? Roy is so obviously a total booby surely any "coverage" from him has a negative effect ...

Alex Brown United States |

9/17/2010 8:33:54 PM #

Hi Alex,

(pardon the late reply - my GMail spam filter got at bit too creative)

Well, I regard Roy as Rob's blunt instrument ... allowing things to be said that Rob couldn't say himself ... them being too far from the truth.

I think the truth lies in the numbers ... Roy has more than 1000 followers on Twitter.

9/17/2010 5:55:32 AM #

Rob Weir

You never know where you will end up getting the most hits from.  In my case, my #1 referrer was not from Roy, not from Groklaw, not even from getting front page of Digg or Slashdot (10 times).  It was from a site I had never heard of previously, a Russian blog called "Habrahabr".  It brought me nearly 100,000 visits over a week, back in March when I exposed the Microsoft random browser ballot bug.

In the end, if you want traffic, you concentrate less on attracting "friends", and more on providing unique,  interesting, well-written content.

Rob Weir United States |

9/17/2010 8:35:44 PM #

Hi Rob,

That is very much the truth.

Speaking of interesting content - I have been waiting to see the last two parts of your 5-part OOXML Final Update series. I am hoping you will have time to complete them.

www.robweir.com/.../...-ooxml-update-part-iii.html

9/17/2010 11:44:29 PM #

Rob Weir

Jesper, I have 39 draft posts in various states of completion, including those two OOXML posts and others that I am absolutely certain you will love.  But it is easier to start a post than to finish it.  So hard to give a date estimate.

Rob Weir United States |

9/17/2010 11:50:47 PM #

Hi Rob,

Damn ... I only have 5 - one of them entitled "Struck by the Wrath of Roy "Kahn" Schestowitz" . As it turns out, the post above shares some parts of the content with that one.

Oh, I am not trying to rush it - I know the pain of finishing off a piece that was sooo easy to begin Smile

Looking forward to reading them ... in due time.