a 'mooh' point

clearly an IBM drone

Final nail in the coffin for the "highlander approach"

On January 29th the Danish politicians finally got their acts together and did something about open document formats. After almost 3 years of debate and endless dragging of their feet - a consensus and agreement was finally made on that Friday.

The agreement made had this content:

For use in the public sector in Denmark, a document format can be used, if it is on the list of approved document formats. To get on the list, the document format must comply with these rules:

  • It has to be completely documented and be publicly available
  • It has to be implementable by anyone without financial-, political- and legal limitations on neither implementation nor utilization
  • It has to have been approved by an internationally recognised standardisation organisation, such as ISO, and standardised and maintained in an open forum with an transparent process.
  • It must be demonstrated that the standard can be implemented by everyone directly in its entirety on several platforms.

If you ask me, this list is pure rubbish. Apparently a deal was made on that Friday morning literally minutes before an open hearing in Parliament and this bears all signs of a job done in too much haste.

(of course, all this happened when I was away on family weekend, but as you can imagine the blog-sphere went crazy and twitter buzzed like a hive of bees with the gent's of "big blue" and "big red" taking swings at each other)

Devil in the details

The problem is that it is written all over it that this list will be taken very literally and we are going to continue to have to discuss stupid details with stupid people - instead of getting to work to start giving value to our customers.

The problems pertain to item 1) and item 4).

Item 1 is actually not that big of a deal, but it is an example of a requirement that cannot be verified. Because what does "completely documented mean"? Does it mean that a mere list of all elements and attributes is enough to give a "thumbs-up"? Does it mean that a single ocurrence of the phrase "... is application defined" provides automatic rejection? Now, I agree with the idea behind this, coz' shit has to be documented but this item should be removed or altered to provide real meaning.

And what about item 4) ?

Well the problem with this is that no document standard of today can be said to comply with this requirement - thereby making the list Ø. The only way a document format can be said to comply with this would be to have 2 independant applications, each claiming to be implementing the specification in "its entirety". And still we wouldn't be able to actually prove it. We would, at best, be able to show that with high likelyhood the applications do actually implement the specification "in its entirety".

Two to go ...

So that basically leaves us with two requirements. The only requirement we should think of adding would be "It has to be relevant in the market" ... ODA, anyone?

The silver lining

But do not fret - it is not all bad. No, because the agreement effectively puts the final nail in the coffin for the "there can be only one document format"-line of thought. The Danish parliament has has turned its back on any exclusivity with regards to document formats and has turned its focus to "open standards". This is no doubt a positive move, because now it doesn't make any sense any more to argue "which one is bigger (or, smaller)" or over who got to the playground first.

With this decision Denmark follows other countries like Norway, Belgium and Holland where the notion of "open standards" is also the center of thought - and who have also discarded the idea of "value can only come if we only have one document format". This is fantastic - and I applaud our politicians on making this decision - even though some of the details lacked consideration.

Smile

Denmark votes "yes" on IS29500 COR1 and FPDAM1

I know it has been a couple of weeks, but I just wanted to share current development with you.

On September 7th (in Danish), the Danish mirror committee to ISO/IEC JTC1 SC34 met at Danish Standards in Charlottenlund. On the agenda was, amongst other things, processing of documents under ballot. The relevant documents to WG4 was these

As appointed expert from Danish Standards in WG4, I have been working hard with the other experts in WG4 on these papers and I have for each meeting in Denmark provided oversights to the mirror committee on the current work. The members of the Danish committee have access to the same set of papers that I have, so we have primarily been discussing the more controversial ones - like usage of ISO-8601 dates in transitional files, reintroducing ST_OnOff in transitional schemas and changing the namespace name for strict files. A couple of times Danish committee members have requested information on more "trivial stuff", and we have then discussed this.

At the meeting of September 7th, I gave a quick sporadic overview of the more tough parts of COR1 and AMD1 and no comments were presented. We talked a bit about general principles of the work in WG4, but that was basically that.

After this, Denmark (Danish Standards) approved the document sets for COR1 and AMD1.

Obviously I think this is great news and the chairman of the Danish committee expressed his appreciation of the work put into creating these files.

Re-introducing on/off-values to ST-OnOff in OOXML Part 4

At this very moment we are discussing re-introducing the values on/off to the simple type ST_OnOff in the transitional part of OOXML.

Background:

Some countries (including Denmark and UK) argued during the DIS29500-process that the enumeration values "on" and "off" of the simple type ST_OnOff were inappropriate since they expanded the W3C Schema data type xsd:boolean. So at the BRM, these values were removed from the simply type ST_OnOff.

Now, that's all fine and dandy - only problem was that it made (according to a Microsoft estimate) 90% of all existing documents (and existing applications) non-conformant. Alex Brown demonstrated this in his article "OOXML and Office 2007 Conformanc: a smoke test". Further, it went directly aganst the scope of IS29500:2008 which was to "represent faithfully the existing corpus of word-processing documents, spreadsheets and presentations that have been produced by Microsoft Office pplications (from Microsoft Office 97 to Microsoft Office 2008, inclusive)".

So we have been disussing this quite a bit - because by re-introducing the values on/off would effectively be reversing a BRM decision ... in other words ... politically, it is a bit of a hot potatoe.

You might argue that this is a prime example of how Microsoft controls SC34/WG4 and how we simply align everything to what Microsoft or Microsoft Office does - but unless you consistantly opt for the sensational news, that position doesn't make very much sense.This has really nothing to do with aligning IS29500 with Microsoft Office; it has to do with aligning IS29500 with its scope.

Now, do note that we in WG4 cannot make decisions to alterating IS29500 - this is the prerogitive of the national bodies in SC34 or JTC1, so all we are doing is suggesting to the NBs that we think it is a good idea to reintroduce the two values.

Smile

WG4-meetings in Copenhagen

So ... everyone on the "who's who" list of OOXML maintenance is in Copenhagen eagerly working our way through a zillion defect reports and proposals for IS29500. The pace varies from hour to hour, but it is almost all of it quite interesting (cough!).

We have quite a busy schedule in front of us for these three days in Copenhagen. The # of DRs have climbed above 250. As you can see on the statistics page of WG4, we have successfully closed about 138 of them (through-out the last few weeks) and we are working our way through the rest.

The topics for this week evolve around mondane tasks as sorting out editorial defect, discussions about technical comments and figuring out what to put in a AMD-bucket and which ones to put in the COR-bucket. It's all about the glamour and fancy life style here.

Smile

We are certainly living in interesting times ... and I am sure we'll get a lot done in these three days.

PS: Ooh ... and we are gonna burn a witch on Tuesday evening.

Lo(o)sing data the silent way - all the rest of it

Ok - this post is going to be soooo different than what I had envisioned. I had prepared documents for "object embedding" and "document protection" but when I started testing them, I soon realized that only Microsoft Office 2007 implemented these features - at least amongst the applications I had access to. These were:

Microsoft Office 2007 SP2

OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (Windows)

OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 (Mac OS X)

NeoOffice (Mac)

iWorks 09 (Mac)

The reason?

  • OOo3 doesn't fully support object embeddin
  • OOo3 doesnt support document protection
  • iWorks doesn't support object embedding at all
  • iWorks doesn't support document protection

So I'll just give you one example of what will happen when strict documents come into play - when applied to document protection.

Document protection is the feature that allows an application to have a user enter a password and unless another user knows of this password, he or she cannot open the document in, say, "write-mode". There is no real security to it, though, it is simply a hashed password that gets stored in the document.

This data is stored in the "settings.xml"-file in the document, and this was rather drastically changed during the ISO-process.

If you use Microsoft Office 2007 to protect your document, it will result in an XML-fragment like this:

[code:xml]<w:documentProtection
  w:edit="readOnly"
  w:enforcement="1"
  w:cryptProviderType="rsaFull"
  w:cryptAlgorithmClass="hash"
  w:cryptAlgorithmType="typeAny"
  w:cryptAlgorithmSid="4"
  w:cryptSpinCount="100000"
  w:hash="XbDzpXCrrK+zmGGBk++64G99GG4="
  w:salt="aX4wmQT0Kx6oAqUmX6RwGQ=="/>[/code]

You will have to look into the specification to figure out what it says, but basically it tells you that it created the hash using the weak algorithm specified in ECMA-376.

But as I said, this was changed during the BRM. Quite a few of the attributes are now gone for the strict schemas, and my take on a transformation of the above to the new, strict edition is this:

[code:xml]<w:documentProtection
  w:edit="readOnly"
  w:enforcement="1"
  w:algorithmName="typeAny"
  w:spinCount="100000"
  w:hashValue="XbDzpXCrrK+zmGGBk++64G99GG4="
  w:saltValue="aX4wmQT0Kx6oAqUmX6RwGQ=="/>[/code] 

'Only thing I am a bit unsure about is the value for the attribute "algorithmName", but I guess it would be "typeAny". The result? Microsoft Office 2007 detects that the document has been protected, but it cannot remove the protection again - presumably due to the new attributes added to the schemas. I thought about creating new values using e.g. SHA-256 as specified in the spec, but the chances that Microsoft Office 2007 would detect this in unknown attribute values are almost nothing, so I didn't bother doing this. Feel to play around with it yourself.

The Chase

We need a namespace change for the strict schemas - and am thinking about ALL of the strict schemas including OPC. If we don't do it this way, my estimate is that we will lose all kinds of data - and the existing applications will not (as they behave currently) inform their users of it. Making existing applications break is a tough call, but I value data/information integrity more than vendors needing to update a bit of their code.

And as for the conformance attribute? Well, the suggestion as it is currently is to enlarge the range of allowed values of this attribute. Somehow I think it makes sense to enlarge the range as well.I think it would make sense to have the values one of

  • strict
  • transitional
  • ecma-376

or something similar. Then when we make a new revision at some point in the future, we can add version numbers to them at that time. Changing the namespaces will also make it possible to use MCE to take advantage of new features of IS29500 while maintaining compatibility with existing applications supporting only ECMA-376 1ed. (more about this later)

And what should the schemas be named?

Well, they are currently like "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/2006/main" . So an obvious choice would be "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/JLUNDSTOCHOLM/main"

Smile

... or maybe simply "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/main" would be better? Of course it introduces easy causes for errors for developers, so maybe "http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/wordprocessingml/iso/main" would be even better?

WG4 meetings in Prague

Wow – this has been a tough week. I arrived at the hotel here in Prague (I am currently waiting in Prague Airport for my flight back to Copenhagen) at around 21:00. I met Doug in Copenhagen and flew with him to Prague and in the airport we ran into Kimmo. After 15 minutes in my hotel room I went down to the bar to get a “welcome to Prague”-beer. After another 15 minutes I crawled back to my room completely devastated due to a flu I hadn’t been able to get rid of. 5 seconds later Florian called and ordered me to get my ass down in the basement wine-bar where he was having drinks with Doug and Megan. I went back to my room when the bar closed at around half past midnight, did some last-minute updates/tweets and almost cried myself to sleep because of near-death-like fatigue.

… and the meetings hadn’t actually started yet.

The next morning the meetings started with a joint session between WG4 and WG5 at the Czech Standardisation Institute. A total of 31 delegates attended this initial meeting. Apart from the SC34 officers (SC34 chair, SC34 secretariat, WG4 convener), there were delegates from Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, ECMA, Finland, France, Germany, Korea, Norway, South Africa, UK and USA. We had quite a lot of work on our table for these three days, and we immediately got to work after the initial pleasantries. A rough list of categories to be dealt with was “Defect reports”, “Rules of engagement” (or “Prime directives”), “Future work”, “Roadmap for future editions/corrections” and “Planning of future meetings and tele-conferences”.

If you’ve been following my twitter-feed (and the ones of Alex, Doug an Inigo) you’ll already have a notion of the insanely interesting things we talked about. But for those not following me (and you should!!!) we talked about sexy things like whether “named ranges” in spreadsheets were defined on the workbook-level or the worksheet-level, whether a reference to Unicode 5 implied dependencies of XML 1.1, whether xml:space applied to whitespace-only-nodes or just to trailing- and leading whitespace in element content, whether font-substitution algorithms in OOXML had a bias for Panose-fonts and if “Panose” really meant “Panose1” and suttle differences between the Panose-edition of Hewlett-Packard and the one of Microsoft (as far as I understood it, anyway)

Can you imagine all the fun we had?

And you know what? We didn’t stop talking about it during lunch, dinner nor brakes. As Doug noted in one of his tweets, the only difference between session and breaks was that during session, only one person talked at any given time.

Well, apart from all this fun, we made an enormous amount of progress. A total of about 169 defect reports have been submitted to us until this point, and we processed almost all of them. We didn’t close all of them, but we managed to process the most important ones and prepare ourselves for our first tele conference in mid April. We laid down some ground principles upon which we will make decisions in the future and we talked about a set of “Prime directives” to form a mental basis for our work (think: The three Laws of Robotics).

In short – it was a good week. I’ll post a series of blog posts in the next weeks outlining the results we achieved (and did not achieve) including both the extremely boring ones as well as the more controversial ones. So Watch this space …

PS: I almost forgot. Microsoft sponsored a dinner/buffet for the participating experts on Wednesday. But what was even cooler was that they had lined up a bunch of Ferraris and Lamborghinis for us outside the restaurant, and we could just take a pick to choose a car to take home. Mine was red! Is that wicked or what?

To the nitwits from <no>ooxml.org: Take it home, boys!

OASIS to JTC1: Bye, bye ...

Ever since the hoola about OOXML-approval there has been quite some discontent in the ISO community regarding how ODF TC has fulfilled its obligations after IS26300 approval. A few meetings have taken place to "amend the harsh feelings" and now some preliminary results have been sent to the NBs for consideration. For those with ISO privileges the documents [1], [2] can be found in the SC34 document repository.

There has been a lot of debate as to where maintenance of ODF should take place, be it in OASIS via ODF TC or via some construction as with OOXML, where the originating TC is included (assimilated) into SC34 and maintenance and development takes place there. I really don't care where these activities take place. I just want the best qualified people to do it.

Now, the documents deal with a definition of principles and a more specific definition of "who takes care of what?"-items. When reading through the documents, I couldn't help getting the feeling that what OASIS was essentially telling JTC1 was "It's my way or the highway".

JTC1 and OASIS have come to the following agreement around maintenance: 

  • OASIS ODF TC takes care of maintenance and development of ODF. 
  • National body participation in this work is encouraged to take place in ODF TC by either direct membership, via the "Comment mail list" or via TC Liaison (I didn't know JTC1/SC34 had one of those in ODF TC)
  • OASIS will submit each approved edition of ODF to JTC1/S34 for approval to make sure that approved standards are equivilant.

I completely agree on item 1) and 3) above, but item 2)? In the paper there is not a single sentence on how the procedures in JTC1 fit into all this. Why are there no wording regarding voting procedures in SC34? If ODF TC comes up with something new and "substantially different", it should be submitted using the "PAS submitter status" of OASIS (similar to the Fast track procedure ECMA used with OOXML). But a PAS submission requires voting in SC34 and if the vote fails (or substantial concern is raised), a BRM is scheduled. If the comments are fixed, the result of the BRM will be an "errata-sheet" and a new vote takes place.

Suppose the post-BRM vote approves the submitted ODF edition

  • what will OASIS do with the errata-sheet?
  • what are the principles for getting them back into the OASIS-approved edition of ODF?
  • what is the time frame?

Is the truth really, that OASIS doesn’t want JTC1/SC34 to do anything to ODF but rubber-stamp it when it comes our way?

When the original ODF 1.0 was submitted to JTC1, a maintenance plan was agreed upon. It had two small but really important words in it: "as is". The maintenance agreement said (AFAIR) that JTC1/SC34 was expected to approve future editions of ODF "as is". In other words, what OASIS managed to get JTC1 to agree to was essentially: "Don't look at it, don’t' open it, don't flip through it, just - don't touch it. Get a hold of the ISO-approval stamp, stamp it and send it back to us".

The only possible conclusion is that OASIS does not want any direct ISO-involvement in development of ODF.

That is fine - the ODF TC should do what they find best. But I am wondering if that also means, that OASIS will not send future editions of ODF to JTC1 for approval? Surely, OASIS can't live with the reputation of having their standards simply rubber-stamped by ISO? 

You may also ask why it is not good enough for JTC1-members to contribute to ODF through ISO. Well, OASIS is a vendor-consortium and the interests of the vendors seem to be somewhat different than the interests of the national bodies. If you look at the contributions of Murata Makato and Alex Brown through the ODF Comment list, it is clear that their interests in quality in schemas, constructs and the specification itself was not prioritized in the TC at all. To me a mix of vendor interests and national bodies is the best way to ensure high quality in any specification, but the proposed agreement between JTC1 and OASIS seems to cut out the national bodies acting as "national bodies"

I think it is a good idea to ISO-approve ODF in the future. But JTC1 needs to send a clear signal to OASIS saying, that is it fine that they want the “Seal of ISO” and we welcome them. But in order to have the cake, OASIS must eat it too. The ISO package must come with two items, 1) the ISO quality stamp and 2) national body involvement. You cannot just have the stamp! It should be emphasized that it is the prerogative of the national bodies to process the standards that come their way and that cutting them off and have them do nothing but rubber-stamping the specification is completely unacceptable.

The proposed maintenance proposal will be discussed at the JTC1/SC34 plenary in Prague on Friday, and I hope all national bodies have understood the ramifications of approving the maintenance agreement. I suggest the plenary responds by saying to JTC1/OASIS: "Thank you for your suggestion for a maintenance plan for ODF, but come back again when we as  national bodies have a solidly founded role in the maintenance of the specification".

Post WG4-meetings in Okinawa

 

Last week (week 4 of 2009) we had the first face-2-face meeting in SC34/WG4 on the Japanese island of Okinawa. Since there is quite a big overlap between the participants of WG4 and those of WG5, the two groups meet at the same time and place to minimize travel costs and time away.

Quite a lot of people had chosen to take the "small" trip to Okinawa, and at roll-call the first day, a total of 22 people sat around the table in the meeting room. Of these were 6 from ECMA and 14 represented various national bodies (of these were 3 employed by Microsoft)

How's that for full disclosure, eh?

The purpose of the meeting was to get started maintaining OOXML and to discuss what to do in the future. We were also to discuss the already submitted DRs and see what we could do about these.

One of the first things I realized on that morning was, that by participating in standardization in ISO (and from what I hear, also most other standardisation organisations) you need to accept following a certain number of rules. As it turns out, we are in no way free to fix problems in the spec, we are in no way free to make new additions of the spec etc. As it turns out, there are rules constraining all of these activities. So the project editor (Rex Jaeschke) took us on a lengthy trip down "ISO-regulation-lane". The idea was to give us all some knowledge of the rules and terms (as in 'nouns') used in the directives so that we would all be on the same, first page moving forward. The basis for the walk-through was a document prepared by the editor and it is available on WG4's website.

DRs

Quite a lot of DRs were submitted to WG4 before the meeting. I think the total number was about 25-30, and they ranged from fixing spelling errors to clarification of the text and schema changes. The first thing we discussed was how to categorize the DRs. The "buckets" were "defects" and "amendments" and how to distinguish between editorial defects and technical defects. We quickly agreed that focus should initially be to verify and aprove any DRs relating to decisions from Geneva that had not made it into the final text. ECMA also had quite a big batch of DRs submitted before the meetings, but since they were not submitted in time for everyone to look at them, we did not make any decisions about these - ECMA just went through them in detail and we discussed each of them.

Details we discussed were certainly of world-changing importance, such as the difference between the text fragments "nearest thousands of bytes" and "nearest thousand bytes", the allowed content of string-literals and intricate details of the xml:space-attribute in an XML-element based on the XML 1.0 specification. Still, it was quite entertaining and it was delightful to sit back and simply overhear the discussions of people that really know what they were talking about.

Comment collection form

ECMA has set up a comment collection form to submit DRs from interested national bodies. It has already been set to use by the Japanese national body and it seems to serve its purpose just fine. Hopefully it will enable us to improve data qualityof the incoming DRs. We gave feedback to the application to Doug Mahugh from ECMA and hopefully he will see to that the suggestions are implemented (especially mine!)

Smile

We discussed at length the concept of "openness" and how we should apply it to our work, and I will cover my feelings for this in detail in a top-post a bit later.

Last minute impressions

This was my second trip to Japan and I must say that I am getting more and more excited about it for every trip. The culture is fantastic and it is a good challenge to be in a part of the world, where you don't speak the language and is incapable of reading almost any signs. I did get a bit of "Lost in Translation"-feeling on my trip back (+40 hrs!), but it was really a good trip. Two thumbs up for the convener, Murata-san who showed us how a splendid host acts and shows their guests a great time.

All in all I also think we had some productive days on Okinawa. We managed to deal with quite a few DRs and to set up work-processes for the future and I am sure we will benefit in the near future of the work we did. It was also interesting to watch the "arm-wrestling" between the national bodies and ECMA. We were on the same page in most cases, but it was interesting to be part of the discussions where we were not. It will be interesting to see how this will evolve in the future. ISO is a bit different than, say, OASIS because of the involvement of national bodies. Where the basis for most of the groups in OASIS is "vendors", it is quite orthogonal to this in ISO where this concept does not really exist. Some of you may remember Martin Bryan's angry words at the plenary in Kyoto about vendor participation and "positions" vs. "opinions" and I am looking forward to take part in these discussions in WG4 as well as here.

 


Additional resources

Below are a couple of links that might be of interest to you

SC34 WG4 public website

SC34 website

(and for Okinawa-related activities)

Alex Brown's write-up about day 0, 1, 2 and 3-4 of the meetings

Doug Mahugh's summary of what took place

Pictures taken by the secretariat

Picture-stream from Doug Mahugh

Picture stream from Alex Brown

Picture stream from Jesper Lund Stocholm (me!)

Twitter stream from Doug Mahugh

Twitter stream from Alex Brown (notice the l33t-speek Twitter-tag Alex uses!)

Twitter stream from Jesper Lund Stocholm

Bonus for those of you waiting for the credits at the end of the movie:

The day I arrived I was met by Murata-san and Alex Brown in the lobby of the hotel. They were on their way to dinner at a restaurant called "Kalahaai" in the "American Village" of Naha. The dinner took place in a restaurant with live Japanese music from a group called "Tink Tink". Their music was really amazing. The last evening we went there again, and Shawn and I were listening completely baffled to the music and on-stage talks of the performers. It was an amazing experiance to sit in the restaurant not understanding a single word they said - and still not being able to stop listening to them.



(courtesy of Doug Mahugh)

And look at this picture. Thanks to Doug's tele/wide/fish-eye-whatever-lense on his camera, I look like an absolutely mad-/maniac man! No girls were hurt during this, I should point out.


(courtesy of Doug Mahugh)

Smile

JTC1/SC34 WG4 appointed Danish expert

On Friday, October 24th the Danish mirror-committee to JTC1/SC34 had its bi-monthly meeting. On the agenda was, amongst other things, assignment of participants to the newly created working groups in JTC1/SC34, WG4 and WG5.

For those of you not familiar with the establishment of these two groups, WG4 will deal with maintenance and development of OOXML. WG5 will work to "Develop principles of, and guidelines for, interoperability among documents represented using heterogeneous ISO/IEC document file formats." So the latter WG is not really about translating between document formats such as ODF and OOXML. No, it is about creating some guidelines that all (future or present) document formats could use as inspiration when designing the formats to be "interoperable".

I think the prospects of this could be really, really good and I hope as many stakeholders as possible chooses to join the work. It would be great to have som kind of guidelines for interoperability comparable to the Accessibility-guidelines from W3C (those that was added to OOXML during the BRM in Geneva).

We did not get any confirmed pledges to participate from the members of the Danish committee, but I was very pleased to hear that both ORACLE Denmark as well as the Technical University of Denmark would investigate if they could join the working group.

More interesting to me was assignment of participants for Working Group 4 to develop and maintain OOXML. Not surprisingly (since most of the participants of the committee are much more "anti-OOXML" than "pro-ODF" this point of the agenda received far less attention. We have in CIBER Denmark discussed for quite some time if we should join the working group, and we have reached the conclusion that we would. We do this of the following reasons:

  1. We believe that we would be able to deliver some technical skills that would be valuable to the work around OOXML
  2. We believe that it is important that development and maintenance of OOXML is not done exclusively by ECMA under the "ISO brand" and
  3. we believe that it is important to create a Danish "foot-print" on the development of the document format
So when the committee was asked if anyone would join, CIBER stepped up to the plate. I am happy to say that both the potential commitment of ORACLE Denmark and Technical University of Denmark and the confirmed commitment from CIBER received unanimous support from the other committee members.

So now what?

well, the first draft of the agenda for the meeting in Okinawa has been posted on the SC34-website. At present the agenda is this:

Draft agenda

  1. Opening - 2009-01-28 10:00
  2. Roll call of Delegates
  3. Adoption of the Agenda
  4. Defect Reports
  5. Any other business
  6. Closing

I think we will also talk about what to actually do in the foreseeable future both with respect to handling of defect reports and future maintenance. One of the things I will not accept (and I hope nor will the other appointed experts) is that the working group will primarily focus our time on defect handling - all while ECMA works on new stuff for OOXML and eventually dumping this on our table. So we will need to establish some sort of agreement around this.

Also we will need to talk about future places to meet. Next meeting will likely be held in Pragh, and I would like to some how make sure that future meetings are held in cities near major airport hubs around the world. It will take me about 24 hours to travel from Copenhagen to Okinawa, and that travel period would be cut in two, if the meeting was held in e.g. Tokyo or Kyoto. This is not a criticisme of the Japaneese decision to have the meeting in Okinawa, but I believe we would indirectly encourage more participation if the required travelling was not so extensive.

Oh ... and did anyone notice that I was only mentioned in the "Small news"-section of Alex Brown's recent post "More Standards news"? This really helps keeping both feet solidly on the ground and not thinking too much of myself.

Wink

IS 29500 has been sent to ITTF for publication

This email just landed in my mailbox this morning:

ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 N1080
Final Text for ISO/IEC 29500-1, Information technology -- Document description and processing languages -- Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 1: Fundamentals and Markup Language Reference
Status: This text has been submitted to ITTF for publication. It is circulated to the SC 34 members for information.
 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 N1081
Final Text for ISO/IEC 29500-2, Information technology -- Document description and processing languages -- Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 2: Open Packaging Conventions
Status: This text has been submitted to ITTF for publication. It is circulated to the SC 34 members for information.
 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 N1082
Final Text for ISO/IEC 29500-3, Information technology -- Document description and processing languages -- Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 3: Markup Compatibility and Extensibility
Status: This text has been submitted to ITTF for publication. It is circulated to the SC 34 members for information.
 
ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34 N1083
Final Text for ISO/IEC 29500-4, Information technology --Document description and processing languages -- Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 4: Transitional Migration Features Due date: --
Status: This text has been submitted to ITTF for publication. It is circulated to the SC 34 members for information.
 
This will finally make it possible for the NBs of ISO to verify that the editorial instructions from the BRM has made it into the final text. I have not yet had the time to investigate and verify that the Danish changes has been implemented, but I am sure lots of blogging will take place over the next days.
 
Smile